“If you look in the mirror and don’t see plenty of flaws, you’re delusional,” says tech consultant Steve Tobak. “And companies are entirely made up of imperfect people, just like you.”
Still, he says, some leaders “more or less” know what they’re doing. These people:
- Behave like mature adults—genuine and caring—even when everybody else acts like a spoiled child.
- Entrust employees with as much responsibility as they can handle, and hold them accountable.
- Provide employees with the tools, training and support they need.
- Give honest feedback.
- Walk the talk, work hard and be hands-on when needed.
- Take the heat for team failures.
— Adapted from “10 things great bosses do,” Steve Tobak, MoneyWatch, CBS News.