More organizations are using Skype to conduct interviews. Beth Braccio Hering at CareerBliss.com rounds up her favorite tips for making a great impression.
• Wear light, solid colors. Black is the worst because it makes shadows across the face, and can make you look older. Generally, stick to light blue if it suits you.
• Find a quiet place, free from phones, doorbells and roommates. Make sure the background is neutral.
• Speak slowly and clearly. Be mindful of the time delay, pause a few beats between sentences to avoid crosstalk.
• Make sure important documents and notes are at hand. Just like in a face-to-face interview, you don’t want to shuffle papers around.
• Turn on the camera and see how you look and sound before the interview. Adjust the volume, focus and lighting beforehand. Skype a friend to test your settings.
— Adapted from “6 Tips for a Successful Video Interview”, by Beth Braccio Hering, CareerBliss.com.