You’ve been a loyal, hardworking employee for years and haven’t seen a promotion. You may have one or more of these common professional problems, writes Alison Green at U.S. News & World Report “On Careers” blog.
• Inappropriate dress. If you don’t look like a boss, you’re unlikely to become one.
• Poor time. Managers have to manage their time and that of their direct reports, so they have to be good at it.
• Terrible at tough talks. Managers must make difficult decisions and have difficult discussions. If you’re not tough enough, or too combative, you won’t be promoted any time soon.
• Cliquish or gossipy. A leader has to be objective and respectful of others.
• Unable to manage up. If you don’t communicate well with your boss or meet her expectations, then you won’t be able to cut it at the next level.
• Invisible accomplishments. No one wants to be seen as overly boastful, but if you’ve done a fantastic job and your boss doesn’t know it, then you’ll probably be overlooked for a promotion.
— Adapted from “10 Reasons You’re Not the Boss,” by Alison Green, U.S. News & World Report, “On Careers” blog.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/33116/why-you-arent-moving-up-the-ladder "