What are the best modern methods for recording meetings? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

What are the best modern methods for recording meetings?

Question: “We use a microcassette recorder to document our meetings, but recently I’ve found the tapes are no longer offered in stores. What other technology is being used these days to record meetings and later transcribe the notes for permanent storage?” – Debbie Reidler, Executive Assistant

Morenike Kolawole April 15, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Before I had access to a recorder(usually called midget), I was using the voice record app on my iphone and it had really helped to capture the meetings.

Yonel May 20, 2014 at 9:59 am

We do have a meeting call rewcordr form Vidicode that you can use and have all the fetures you are looking for.

MP August 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have a friend whose boss dictates all of his notes and correspondance. My friend is using the small cassett tapes as well as a dictaphone tape player with the sped pedals in order to transcrib the information. what can she do, he boss does not want to no use his dictation taperecorder. Isthere another way to get the recordings from the small tapes as types up information with out the old and wearing out, unreplacable and unfixable transcribing machines???

Carolyn August 30, 2012 at 9:33 am

Another possibility is the iTalk iPhone and iPad app.

Gail August 24, 2012 at 8:25 am

I agree with Amy. We have a smart pen that records and we take notes on special paper from LiveScribe. It works wonders and even has earphones. When you have taken notes on the LiveScribe paper, you can tap the pen on th paper and it wil automatically take you to that point in the recording. They are not very expensive compared to other methods. We ordered ours from Staples. Hope this helps

Kathy Sandy August 23, 2012 at 5:25 pm

We don’t record much anymore at all, except board meetings and a couple of our governance meetings. We cover eight counties and usually have some members who teleconference in. Our teleconferencing service gives us the option to record the meeting, which has two advantages. Not only does it enable me to double-check my notes and the draft minutes, but it enables any board member (or governance coordinator) who was unable to participate in the meeting to go into the system and hear the entire meeting herself at her convenience. Meetings stay in the system for 90 days.

Marsha Gentry August 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

We’re using the Olympus digital voice recorder DS-40 and are very pleased with it. Of course, handwritten notes are taken as well as back-up.

Jasmine Freeman August 23, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I use the Echo version of the Livescribe smartpen. They have apps that are compatible and you can write notes as you record which helps with your ability to recall what you need by simply clicking on the line of text you had written to pull up the audio recorded at that moment. You can also skip forward and backward with the touch of the pen by a few seconds as well. Very helpful as it really catches more than just the words from the meeting but the essence of the meeting through the recorded audio. It downloads directly to an app on your desktop and the files are easy to share.

Delores August 23, 2012 at 4:56 pm

We also use digital recorders and the dictation is directly downloaded to a PC. We also have the Olympus foot pedal to use when transcribing the dictation.

Lisa August 23, 2012 at 4:53 pm

I have a question for those using digital record recorders. I’m still using an old microcassette recorder because I love the fact that I can use a transcription machine with a foot pedal. With the foot pedal, I can easily play, rewind/back-up, forward, etc. using my foot, and don’t have to take my hands off my keyboard. I’ve used my microcassette transcription machine for so long that it’s second-nature to use the foot pedal feature. Not sure how it would work when listening to a digital recording.

Is there any way to have that foot pedal feature with a digital recording? Or to back up your recording, do you have to go into the MP3 file and manually back it up (with a mouse, I assume)?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Delores August 23, 2012 at 5:33 pm

We use the Olympus foot pedal with the DSS Player. You can get by with the player that comes with the recorder by using the function key to back up and stop and fast forward. If you want to use a foot pedal, there is a Olympus AS-2400 transcription kit you can get.

Chris August 23, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I use the Pulse Smart Pen. You can record audio and write down notes on the special notebook. You can then upload the audio and notes you’ve written to your computer and share with others. I LOVE THIS PEN!!! I even bought one for my daughter in college for recording audio of her lectures.

Amy C August 23, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Several of us here use a Livescribe Pen. It records the audio while you write. When you go back and listen to the meeting, you can click anywhere on the special (printable!) paper and pick up the audio specifically from that section. It works AMAZINGLY! http://www.livescribe.com/en-us/

Diana August 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Recommend digital voice recorders. Very clear. Very easy to use. Download Mp3 files. Research if voice technology transcription included. Check with office supply stores.

Michele August 23, 2012 at 4:15 pm

In addition to digital recorders to capture voice we also have copy boards that you can use and then either print or save any information that was drawn during a presentation or brainstoming session. Makes taking minutes so much easier.

Michelle August 23, 2012 at 4:12 pm

Many smartphones now either come equipped with a digital recorder. Or, you can also find free or affordable recorder apps. I’ve used my phone to record meetings before and it works great.

Mary August 23, 2012 at 4:11 pm

We also use digital voice recorders for our meetings. Clips of sections of meetings can be made. We had an instance where a person was misquoted by the paper and because we were able to provide a clip, a retraction was printed. There are many brands to choose from.

Gail August 23, 2012 at 4:08 pm

I agree with Karen. We use digital recorders. They are compact, but the sound quality is great and the recordings can be downloaded to your PC. This is great if you need to share the recorder, or if you want to archive the recordings. I recommend Sony IC Recorder ICD-PX312.

Karen August 23, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Digital recorders are being used for everything: meetings, lectures, transcription. The sound quality is so much better than tapes. To find a model that will fit your needs, I suggest going to Amazon.com, searching “digital recorder” and reading the reviews from users.