Even the fastest computer could profit from a few tricks that make everyday tasks easier or faster. Here are four free tools that HR professionals can benefit from:
1. Capture images of web pages and share them via e-mail with “Send Page By E-Mail.” With this Firefox add-on, instead of sending your manager a link to a web page, you can share a screen shot.
That way, he or she can glance at your e-mail to see the web info without ever clicking through. And it won’t matter if the content on the page refreshes. Go to http://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2343.
2. Drag and drop files into a virtual tube to deliver documents instantly. “Tubes” is a free download that creates secure peer-to-peer connections (or “tubes”) between your machine and another one. It gives you a way to deliver and receive large files without overloading e-mail or dropping files into an intranet storage folder. Go to www.tubesnow.com.
3. Find out in an instant whether you’ve used a word correctly. Install the Merriam-Webster toolbar, one of the most underrated on the web, to look up any word or phrase on the spot. Go to www.m-w.com.
4. Speed up online research by installing the Dogpile toolbar. It queries all the major search engines—Google, Yahoo!, MSN and Ask—at the same time and delivers top results. Go to www.dogpile.com.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Stick to FMLA certification rules, or lose your rights
- Sheetz employees 'connect' with execs at 'town halls'
- OK to punish worker acting alone to end alleged harassment
- Employee quit? Record of conversation can save you if he files for unemployment