Boutique hotel chain Affinia Hotels has hired a bartender to teach its staff about customer service.
Mixologist Dushan Zaric, co-founder of the American Bartending Institute of New York, uses drink-mixing exercises to demonstrate the power of maintaining both a positive attitude and a focus on the task at hand.
Example: In one exercise, employees who work as reservationists, desk clerks, housekeepers, bellmen and other hotel jobs create cocktails using identical ingredients and directions. They usually find that each employee’s drink tastes different, based on the state of mind of its creator, which affects the quality of the product and the service the employee delivers.
Contact: Chrissy Denihan O’Donovan, chief comfort officer, (646) 424-2600.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 4 questions to ask yourself before you call someone on leave
- Be prepared to prove reorg or cost cutting as layoff reasons
- Don't add fuel when you fire: 4 tips for terminations
- Document discipline investigation steps to show sincerity, lack of discrimination