Employees who takeare entitled to return to the same or an equivalent position after their leave has expired. But that doesn’t mean can’t alter minor job duties, especially if the change legitimately makes good business sense.
The fact that someone’s job evolves slightly during leave doesn’t mean the change was related to leave or punishment for taking leave.
Recent case: Deborah, a bank teller, took three months of. Before she gave birth, her job included filling out government paperwork. When she returned, that duty had been transferred to the compliance department. She sued, alleging retaliation and interference with her .
The court threw out her lawsuit. It ruled that making logical job-duty changes while an employee is on leave isn’t illegal. (Perretti v. Alma Bank, No. 11-Civ-3925, ED NY, 2012)
- FMLA eligibility: How serious is that serious health condition?
- Offer flex schedules to low-wage workers, too
- Unable to work, ineligible for FMLA? You may be able to fire
- No separate emotional distress claims if conduct is covered by IHRA
- Does Minnesota law let workers take time off for their children's school activities?