If you think your workplace is drug-free, the government has a surprise for you. Chances are you’re wrong—very wrong. According to the latest survey, one out of every 12 U.S. workers uses illegal drugs. That’s self-reported illegal drug use among adults working full-time—and just those who admit they’ve used illicit substances within the last 30 days.
The information comes from the latest study by the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Administration, an agency within the federal Department of Health and Human Services. The agency surveyed both public and private employees over a three-year period and found that 8.2% had used illegal drugs in the past 30 days.
That’s up from earlier surveys. In 1994, just 7.6% used illegal drugs, and in 1997, the rate was 7.7%.
Most employees who admitted drug use said marijuana was their drug of choice.
What may be even more shocking are the rates of drug use by profession. About 4% of ...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Don't wait for emergency to make flexibility routine
- Employees boost fundraising for Austin-area charities
- Better writers make better hires
- Domestic violence victims get help from their employer