We packed up the Soapbox this summer and trucked down to Atlanta for America’s annual gathering of all things HR … the Society for Human Resource(SHRM) annual conference.
In no specific order, here are 10 of the best nuggets of wisdom dished out by the speakers to the more than 12,000 in attendance. (Best move by SHRM this year—turning several of the “men” restrooms at the convention center into “women” versions to avoid the long lines and annoyed attendees). Drumroll please ...
1. Recruiting via Facebook. “The risk of looking at (an applicant’s) Facebook page is much less after you interview them … If you decide not to hire a person based on what you see on a Facebook page, print it out, circle it and write ‘Bad judgment’ next to it.”
— Jonathan Segal, attorney, Duane Morris, Philadelphia
2. No more memos? “I don’t believe in the memo from HR. I believe in leaders being out front … Make sure (manag...(register to read more)
- Salary Negotiations: When to Talk Money, and How to Base the Initial Offer
- 10 Things Employees Are Dying to Hear Their Managers Say ...
- Keeping salaries secret: Is it time to end the silence?
- Criminal background checks: Should you 'ban the box' on applications?
- That Beastly W-2: How to Deal With 'Unique' Religious Accommodations