Last month’s official report detailing the institutional breakdown at Penn State regarding the Jerry Sandusky case noted that the university’s HR department was also left in the dark about the child-abuse allegations.
Why wasn’t HR notified? Because HR functions were too decentralized and removed from the school’s president, the report said. It suggests the HR director report directly to the university president, and that HR be separated from the finance division. The university has begun training all staff on requirements to report offenses.
- Record-Keeping: Heed federal rules for discovery of e-mail, IMs
- Use multimedia campaigns to nurture employee self-service
- Your dollars at risk: Protect yourself from personal liability
- Worried about a new hire? 'Salvage operation' tips
- Can a company be liable for race-Biased firing if decision-Maker didn't know the person's race?