Scott Kody is suing the village of Schaumburg, claiming it discriminated against him when it stripped him of his fire-safety training duties three years ago. In a federal lawsuit, Kody cites statements concerning his age that Schaumburg Fire Department officials allegedly made.
Kody worked as the department’s public education officer from 1984 until he was demoted in September 2009. He alleges his superiors stated he was “getting up in age.”
Kody initially filed complaints with the federal EEOC and the Illinois Department of Human Rights. The village denies any wrongdoing.
Apparently Kody isn’t too old for some fire department duties. He continues to work as a firefighter and paramedic.
- What's an ADA disability?.... And seven more questions you'd better be able to answer
- Double duty: Regulating moonlighting and following the law
- Track all discipline so you can show harsh punishment wasn't retaliation
- EEOC issues guidance for helping victims of domestic violence
- School superintendent sued for discriminating against whites