Which icebreakers can really start a meeting on the right note? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Which icebreakers can really start a meeting on the right note?

Question: “I’m trying to come up with some fresh, unusual icebreakers for our interoffice admin meetings. Going around the room introducing ourselves and telling what we do is so stale! What are some better ways to get people into an upbeat, productive mood?” – Jennifer A., Transcriber

Tim June 13, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Ice breakers and conference energisers need to be energised and all-inclusive. Activities that leave people sitting in their chairs are not that much fun.

Kelly November 7, 2012 at 7:59 am

Did anyone ever get the list? I never did…= (

Stephanie November 7, 2012 at 1:10 am

I would love a copy of the Ever Ready Admin scavenger hunt list!!!

JaGo September 5, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I’m not a fan of dull ice breakers, but was asked to bring one to staff meeting. Because communication isn’t the best at my job and many of us don’t really knows what the other does, I decided to spice up the “introduce yourself and tell what you do” exercise. Only added some creativity to it to make it fun and exciting. Here’s what I did:

For props, I brought in a CD player, dark sun glasses, a trench coat, attache case or folders and a basket with everyone’s name in it. I played the Mission Impossible theme 2012 and placed everyone’s name in a basket with instructions as to what they were suppose to do “should they accept their mission.” As the theme song played, each reached for a name (of their coworker, including the administrator). As they were called upon (I being Tom Cruise) spoke to them in a strict tone and authoritatively as any secret agent would do (staying in character without cracking a smile). They had to read the name they picked and tell what they thought that coworker did.

It became so funny when it was apparent that they were guessing what their worker did. The secret agent would yell “wrong!” And the coworker who’s name they had pulled would stand up and share what they did.

Not only was it hilariously funny, but we all learned something about each other as well!!

Bcv March 26, 2014 at 11:55 am

Great idea!!! Love it!

Melanie August 1, 2012 at 5:08 pm

Neither my co-workers nor I would appreciate wasting time in meetings wiht icebreaker games or questions like, “What is your favorite color?” or “What animal would you like to be?”.

Debbie August 1, 2012 at 3:01 pm

I too would appreciate receiving a copy of the Ever Ready Admin Scavenger Hunt list. Thanks!

Janel Evans July 30, 2012 at 10:54 am

I would like a list please. We just started doing monthly admin meetings again and i’d like to do something different than what we’ve already done.

Thank you.

Pam H. July 26, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I also would like to receive a copy of the Ever Ready Admin Scavenger Hunt.

Marty July 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

I would appreciate a copy, too.

Marge' July 23, 2012 at 11:37 am

I would enjoy receiving a copy of the Ever Ready Admin Scavenger Hunt.

Beverly July 20, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I also would like a copy of the scavenger hunt

Patricia Flaherty July 20, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Please send me a copy of the “Ever Ready Admin” scavenger hunt.

Diane J-H July 13, 2012 at 9:45 am

Start the meeting with some music. For an all-staff meeting, I was setting up the room before everyone arrived. It was deathly quiet, so I plunked in some music on the PA system while I set up. My intention was to turn it off when people started to arrive; however, it seemed to drive opening conversations, so I left it on. The music I used? It wasn’t my heavy metal or alternative rock stuff, it was harp music. It would be categorized as New Age or Soft Jazz. It was great!

Ter July 13, 2012 at 8:13 am

The best thing I have found is to start with the regular welcome and then ask a question…for example, “What is your favorite food?” Each person then goes around the room and says their favorite food. This is QUICK and is an icebreaker. In addition, the admin can take notes and know what the team’s likes are. Each meeting can start with a different question.

Bonnie Low-Kramen July 12, 2012 at 7:05 pm

Ask people to name one thing that are really good at in their job – the thing that they can do with their eyes closed without missing a beat. Examples are; speak another language, Queen of Mail Merge, King of PowerPoint, the foodie who knows every hip new restaurant in town, etc. The results are often surprising…and useful.

Mark July 12, 2012 at 4:45 pm

We have weekly staff training sessions. The very first thing we do is read a question from “The Book of Questions” or the countless similar books that are on the market. We read a question, go around the circle with each person answering, then repeat the process for a total of three questions. (We have 14 people, so different staff sizes would necessitate more or less questions.) Over time, you really get to know people by their responses. Question examples include, “If money was no object, where in the world would you like to live?”, “Would you accept 20 years of extraordinary happiness and fulfillment if it meant you would die at the end of the period?”, “When you are given a compliment do you usually acknowledge it or suggest that you really do not deserve it?” You really do get to know them better, you discover what is important to the, etc.

Mere July 12, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I have two that I like. For the first one, each person is to type up two things that nobody knows about them. These are typed so no can recognize handwriting. Each one should be cut on to a separate little slip of paper. When you arrive at the meeting, you drop your two items into a basket. We then take turns reading the slips and guessing who it belongs to. I have done this informally where we just guess out loud and have also done this where we write down answers for each one and then give a prize. I also have a purse based scavenger hunt that I have used at offsite meetings. I call the game the “Ever Ready Admin”. The list has things that you might need at a meeting. I will be glad to share the list if you are interested. We give a prize to the winner.

carol July 13, 2012 at 1:44 am

Would appreciate if you could share the list. Thanks

Sue July 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I too would appreciate you sharing the list with me. Great idea.

DeAnn July 19, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I would love to get a copy of the list, please.

OMM... July 19, 2012 at 4:24 pm

That sounds great! Please share…

Rebecca July 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm

HI Mere
Can you please share the list. Thanks!

Debbie July 19, 2012 at 7:26 pm

Yes, please share. Thank you so much.

Deb July 19, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Would love a copy.

Karen July 20, 2012 at 2:36 pm

Would love a copy of the list.
Thanks!

Kelly July 20, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Mere,
Please share your list.
Thank you.

Debbie July 31, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Hi Mere,

Have you sent the Ever Ready Admin list and I just missed it?

Thanks,
Debbie

Joyce July 12, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Send a “test” in advance of the meeting, and when they announce their name have them announce whatever rating the test assigns them. I’m a 2 or a green depending on what test. This makes me a mediator, and a person that prefers working facts/logic over emotion. It may give them insight on how to understand, work with or communicate with one another. It is also interesting when it is fresh in your mind to be able to note how people respond to meeting topics … “oh, I see, they’re looking at it from this angle because they are a #5.” Can be fun, educational, and eye-opening. On a more personal level? What did you want to be when you were 6?

Jessica July 12, 2012 at 4:14 pm

An icebreaker used in a recent meeting was to have each person say 3 things about themselves…Wait for it…. They have to say (2 true and 1 false statement about themselves). It’s up to the rest of the group to guess which statement is false. Each person has a chance to participate and it’s the fastest/funniest way to get laughs and nods. You never know what kind of hidden hobbies or passions they have! It worked for our group of 25+. Hope this helps!

Ashley July 12, 2012 at 4:13 pm

At our office, during random meetings we will divide into groups of six or so (depending on the amount of people) and try to arrange ourselves in different orders (i.e. birth month, by longest commute to work, which employee who has been with the company longest). After 4 or 5 rounds, a group will be declared the winner for their fastest arrangement time.

Sally Berscheit July 12, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Have them tell one thing about themselves that no one already knows.

Lisa Caulfield July 12, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Ask people if there was a person or incident that changed the course or viewpoint of your career.