Having a glowing recommendation attached to your profile is a great way to stand out to recruiters, but it’s important that you also write great recommendations for others. Here are expert tips to help you get and give effective recommendations.
1. Make your request specific. A direct, detailed request to an individual will encourage the recommender to write it quicker and spare you from generic, meaningless praise.
2. Refrain from asking everyone. Target the people who can speak authoritatively to your skills and work ethic.
3. Don’t ignore a request. If you must decline a request, do so politely. Example: “Thanks for the recommendation request, but at this time I don’t feel that I can endorse your work, as we really don’t know each other well enough. Feel free to contact me at a later date if that changes.”
4. Update your recommendations. Consider revising your recommendations periodically. Go to the “Recommendations You Have Made” link, where you can choose to withdraw recommendations.
5. Express gratitude. When receiving a recommendation, don’t instantly agree to return the gesture unless you are very comfortable recommending that person. However, always write a note saying thanks.
— Adapted from “6 Things You Need to Know About LinkedIn Recommendations,” Linda Coles, Mashable.com.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/32099/linkedin-expert-tips-on-recommendations "