Can job postings promising a commute-free existence ever be trusted? — Business Management Daily: Free Reports on Human Resources, Employment Law, Office Management, Office Communication, Office Technology and Small Business Tax Business Management Daily

Can job postings promising a commute-free existence ever be trusted?

Question: “What is the real deal with all those ‘Work from home, make thousands’ ads I see on the Internet? Are any of them on the up-and-up, and is there any viable way for an admin to make a livable wage without being connected to an office?”   – Diana S., Phoenix

g July 10, 2012 at 8:14 am

I’ve always wondered the same thing. I was going to do a selling product type one that a friend of mine was doing but when you have to pay up front it makes you wonder. I see the suggested sites above, I might look into those too. There are some changes coming to my workplace soon and I’m not sure if it will be the right place for me anymore (but I have to work – single income). Thanks

Lilly July 9, 2012 at 1:01 pm

I’m not exactly sure how an admin could effectively work at home. Our position is to manage & support our office & staff it just seems to me that there are quite a few things you could not do offsite. Yes, you can do things like documentation, manage calendars, order things, etc, but to me by working at home you are missing a large part of what the admin does/is – a pulse of the office – someone people depend upon to do what is needed for them. A think an admins physical presence in the office enviroment is essential to the job. I also think the admin is missing out by not being there in the loop on everything, part of the culture going on day-to-day, etc

Edie July 6, 2012 at 4:32 pm

You might try Alpine Access.com OR Westathome.com – 2 viable work from home companies with paid training and no junk.

Kim June 29, 2012 at 9:17 am

Those ads are usually just trying to get you to buy their product to learn how to run your own home based business in my experience. However, there are more and more legitimate companies that are embracing a work-at-home staff as they grow. Look for a larger, reputable employeer in your area that is hiring – they might have something that has work at home opprotunities.

Gloria June 29, 2012 at 8:21 am

I went through so many sites to no avail; however, there were a few companies I found legitimate. They were far and few between and were regular job offerings on Monster from large name companies. Although, you did have to travel into work about 1 or 2 a week. The best options I saw were taking programs and learning how to become a VA and operate it as my own business. That seems the way to go. Once you start, do it part time until you get enough clients to work from home. That’s how the other VAs did it. Checked out LinkedIn Groups and EAtoVA and VA Training, VA associations, etc for more info. If you do sign up for training, research it to see who is ranked as the best. A couple are always highly rated. Your LinkedIn Members will know.

Glenda June 29, 2012 at 7:48 am

The way I look at it is – if it were the real deal wouldn’t eveyone be doing it?

Chris June 29, 2012 at 6:52 am

Most work from home ads are scams, but I suggest the you take a look at Clark Howard’s website. At one point he had information about working from and how to spot the real deals from the fake. I hope this helps.

Joan June 28, 2012 at 7:11 pm

Desperate people do desperate things and you can wind up with your name on a list being marketed to who-knows-who. You end up with a ton of spam and your privacy gone. If you just cannot resist, hoping for someone to give you another viewpoint or direction, best to set up a separate email account for just this type of ad. After judging what you get back you can delete the account–and all of the spam.

Kathy June 28, 2012 at 5:28 pm

I certainly wouldn’t trust them! If it sounds to good to be true, then it probably is. I agree with Julie, sounds like a scam.

Julie June 28, 2012 at 5:14 pm

They can’t be trusted. Scammers are trying to take advantage of people made desperate by the current recession/depression.