A choice of work hours and the option to telecommute aren’t the only ways organizations can offer flexibility to employees. If your organization wants to expand its flex options, here are some options:
- Allow employees to control when they take their breaks.
- Give workers more choice about which shifts they will work.
- Leave it up to employees, when possible, whether to work overtime.
- Tolerate employees who want to move from full-time to part-time jobs—and back again—without fear of demotion.
- Add the option to work only part of each year.
- Encourage new parents to gradually return to work after a birth or adoption.
- Phase older employees into retirement by allowing part-time or partial-year work in the years leading up to their departure.
- Welcome back good employees who have taken a years-long break from work to raise families or care for seriously ill parents.