Q.wants to institute a policy requiring cashiers whose registers are short at night’s end to replace the disputed amount out of their own pockets. Would that violate the law?
A. You should not require cashiers to personally reimburse you for cash shortages. Under the Fair Labor Standards Act, an employer cannot deduct money from an employee’s paycheck that would result in the employee being paid less than the minimum wage.
Requiring an employee to reimburse you for a cash shortage is treated the same way. Even if the shortage amount would not bring the employee below the minimum wage, a better approach for addressing the situation is to discipline cashiers whose registers are short.
- Fight unemployment benefits if employee quits because of unsubstantiated safety fears
- Family health premiums up just 4% this year
- New president, new Congress: 5 new employment laws could reshape HR
- Smarter firing leads to fewer unemployment payouts
- Congress considers redrawing the lines between employees and independent contractors