Organizations tend to get insular. You and your team can easily start thinking from the inside out instead of from the outside in.
Some ways to get closer to your customers:
- Invite a client to a team meeting.
- Take your team to a customer’s site.
- Spend a couple of hours listening in on customer service calls, either live or taped.
- Ask each employee to interview a customer, then discuss what they learned.
- Ask for feedback from customers through web-based surveys and social media.
— Adapted from Simply Effective, Ron Ashkenas, Harvard Business Press.