Acts of violence can take place at any time, in any location. If you think your company is immune to violent behavior, think again. Violence is a problem that can infiltrate every industry and profession. Take these tragic events.
An employee of NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX, shot and killed another employee and himself. The employee was allegedly set off by areview he received a month prior to the shooting.
A shooter entered the office of an accounting firm in a suburb of Detroit, MI, and shot three employees, killing one of them. The alleged shooter was a former employee who might have been terminated as recently as a week before the shooting.
A student at Virginia Tech opened fire on campus, killing 33 people including students and faculty, and ultimately turned the gun on himself.
Despite such headline-making tragedies, most employers have been slow to respond to the pos...(register to read more)
- Violating any work rule can be just cause for termination
- 4 ways to bring domestic violence out of the workplace shadows
- ¡Que chiste! Bilingual staffer fired for speaking Spanish
- Workplace genetic testing raises discrimination concerns
- Workplace violence: Georgia law opens liability beyond workers' comp