While the U.S. Department of Labor cleared an executive order that would have made it illegal for federal contractors to discriminate against employees (or applicants) based on their sexual orientation, President Obama is not expected to sign the order. Obama favors the idea, but believes the topic should be approved by Congress, not an executive order.
He also favors a bill that would prohibit anti-gay bias for all U.S. employees, not just employees of federal contractors. Odds of that bill—the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)—passing Congress this year are nearly zero.
- Rights groups take aim at Target over criminal records
- Did Pantego firm act too fast by firing worker taking meds?
- Look beyond employee's VA disability status to determine if he's disabled under ADA or state law
- EEOC looks at last-chance agreements barring lawsuits
- Checking up on sick workers: The 6 do's and don'ts