While the U.S. Department of Labor cleared an executive order that would have made it illegal for federal contractors to discriminate against employees (or applicants) based on their sexual orientation, President Obama is not expected to sign the order. Obama favors the idea, but believes the topic should be approved by Congress, not an executive order.
He also favors a bill that would prohibit anti-gay bias for all U.S. employees, not just employees of federal contractors. Odds of that bill—the Employment Non-Discrimination Act (ENDA)—passing Congress this year are nearly zero.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Free handout: The 9 discrimination flashpoints your managers must avoid
- New ADEA regulations final--with little help for employers
- Check yourself: Can you show equal treatment at discipline time?
- 6th Circuit weighs in: What makes a bias complaint protected?