Facebook says it’s seen “a distressing increase” in reports of employers seeking to gain access to employees’ profiles. Several states are taking action.
Maryland passed a bill in April that bars employers from asking applicants or employees for their passwords to social media sites. Other states, including California and Illinois, are also considering the measure.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 6 ways managers will land your company in a lawsuit
- Ex-employees: Gone but not forgotten Courts' broader definition of 'employee' expands your liability
- Are Employee Protests a 'Protected' Activity?
- How to handle 'No-Match' letters: New rules go into effect on Sept. 14