Flushing Manor Geriatric Center Inc. in Queens will pay $900,000 to 29 Haitian and Jamaican employees for race discrimination and retaliation.
The employees claimed managers and residents habitually subjected them to racial slurs.also prohibited the Haitian workers from speaking in their own language, even though it allowed other employees to speak in their native tongues.
Final note: The EEOC has been aggressively enforcing its English-only discrimination rules. Let employees converse in their language of choice, particularly during breaks and lunch times. Be aware that prohibiting employees from talking to each other in their native tongues may be an unfair labor practice if the rule prevents them from discussing work conditions.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Planning layoffs? Check age demographics before and after proposed RIF
- Know when to worry about discrimination--and when court will rule 'no harm, no foul'
- Quiz: How well do you know discipline do's and don'ts?
- Lawsuit: Denton elder care routinely biased against men