What’s your biggest technology challenge?

Question: What's your biggest technology challenge? Chances are, you're not alone in your frustrations. Please share your greatest tech challenges (and any solutions you've found) in a comment below. We've found that peer-to-peer advice is often the best to help admins work smarter, save time and master new skills. Thanks for sharing! —The editors

Annonymous August 27, 2013 at 3:35 pm

We find that many small businesses are challenged with either deciding to scale up, or remaining small and consistently delivering the same results for clients. It be tough to make the call, and if you decide to continue to scale up, it can be costly. Automation does help…

Webcore Technologies

815-A Brazos St., PMB 376, Austin, TX 78701

512.320.7071

Melodie Turk March 27, 2013 at 1:46 pm

My biggest technology challenge is that people don’t take the time to learn some basics around new software or apps that the company has installed. It makes it very challenging to actually use the benefits of these programs and applications.

Undisclosed April 22, 2012 at 2:21 am

Admin. It’s probably in a temp folder. You should also be able to open it if you go into Word & click on file. Then scroll down to the section which lists the last files opened. If its not listed, definitely go into the email temporary files. Good luck!

Mark April 20, 2012 at 10:50 am

My biggest challenge is getting everyone to change their habits and stop saving everything on their PC. Several years ago we installed a file server. All shared documents are supposed to be stored there, but people keep saving them on their own PC’s. That means there are a half dozen versions of some documents/spreadsheets, because people will make changes, save it on their PC, and the shared file remains unchanged. Plus, people are clogging up their hard drives with so many files that don’t need to be there; they can be on the server. I realize habits are hard to break, but it has been four years and people still don’t get it!

NonAdmin April 20, 2012 at 11:07 am

I’ve had a similar experience. I used to work for 2 depts and 3 supervisors. Between us we had shared folders yet the one supervisor NEVER EVER would open it and never even remembered it existed when I would try to show her something on her computer that was in the shared drive – which we agreed to have created so that I didn’t have to email everything to her! UGH! Needless to say it was a waste of time for me and I always had to email everything. When I stopped being supervised by her I removed everything I still worked on from the folder and deleted the shared folder from my desktop. Unbelievable!

Trisha April 20, 2012 at 10:08 am

When I first started at my current company in 2008, the people here were stuck in the past and were still using Word Perfect!!! I pull my hair out every time I need to access a old document that is in that ancient format. Sure, it can be converted to and opened using Word 2010, but it is very slow and not everything in the old document can be converted to the new format which, in turn, requires even more time reviewing the entire document to see what’s missing, if anything. There’s since been a huge push to get remove the Word Perfect program from all computer systems company-wide, although there are some hold-outs who refuse to keep up with new technology.

stacy April 24, 2012 at 9:44 am

Gotta say, I still prefer word perfect over word and will use it whenever possible.

Tammy April 20, 2012 at 9:26 am

This link will become your best friend. It is a FREE program that will convert from pdf to doc. Upload the pdf tell it what kind of doc you want it to be and what you want it to be named. Enter your email and within 5 minutes you have an email with it all converted.

Admin. April 20, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks, Tammy… that sounds like a great resource to edit cut/paste text from pdf.

btw, I can save word docs as PDFs (in MS word 2007) but the pictures come out really blurry for some reason, on screen AND when I print the pdf. Don’t know why. So I have to just leave them in word to print (which is fine, but when I fwd, the format doesn’t always stick….

Carol April 19, 2012 at 4:22 pm

My biggest software issue is finding software that will convert a pdf into a doc that I can edit or add to. I have tried Adobe but it is a black hole if you are not familiar with the program, or I have to get an upgraded version that is expensive and not in a small company budget. We have also paid for Softscan and Omnipage and the doc’s never convert properly because of logo’s or other objects that are on the page that the program doesn’t recognize. I am sick of spending money on programs or classes that don’t give me a simple solution. Help!!!!

Admin. April 18, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Has anyone ever had this problem? I wanted to work on a word document at home so I emailed it to myself. Made all sorts of edits (it was a table, I inserted text, hyperlinks, made edits, etc.
Saved it, closed it so I could email it back to myself… but then I couldn’t find the new version ANYwhere on my home computer! So all that work was wasted. Somehow I must’ve been working on a “ghost version” on my screen… has anyone else made this mistake? :(
Lesson learned: Save As, rename it and test a few changes before wasting hours of work on a doc moved from work computer system to a home PC.

An Admin April 19, 2012 at 4:15 pm

Did you check your “Sent” box? It should be in the attachment that you sent to yourself at work. Just a thought.

An Admin April 19, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Sorry, I read the words slowly this time! Look in the orignal document that you emailed yourself from work. It should have saved it on that email.

Admin. April 20, 2012 at 10:34 am

Yes, I checked it and all the changes had been lost! :( I couldn’t believe it! (Also couldn’t believe how stupid I was that I forgot to “save as”… I was “saving often” but in the end it was all lost.) Who knows maybe it’s hidden somewhere else on my computer but I gave up trying. I searched by date modified etc. Nothing. Anywhere. Total waste of time, worse it demoralized me … when I had to redo the research (at work), I did it with much less enthusiasm/thoughtful analysis.

An Admin April 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

My office is not located at the main branch, yet 3/4 of the Administrators are located in our building. We are always the last to get the “trickle down” equipment and software. We were supposed to be upgraded a year ago, and the new version of software and equipment will be obsolete by then! Very frustrating to work with outdated equipment and software. When we have to present to service groups outside of our company, it is very embarrassing to bring out the laptop that is used for travel. I brought my own laptop from home and used it in a presentation because I was sure that it would work!

NonAdmin April 16, 2012 at 10:49 am

Boy does that ever sound familiar!! I had requested a new monitor a few years ago because mine was “flickering” quite frequently. I had gone so far as to do print-outs of the spreadsheets I work on and different pieces and actually marked for my manager the portion I could actually see of each while working on them on the monitor I had at that time. Lucky me – they got me a “new one”! Just as old and decrepit as the one I had started with! UGH!

Denise Dukette April 13, 2012 at 1:11 pm

Collaborate project management tools that are a) easy to use for all levels of tech experience, b) easy to configure/set up, and c) affordable for the small business. As a virtual assistant, products like Basecamp are great, but the monthly subscription rate doesn’t make me happy unless I have a couple of committed clients using it daily for everything.

NonAdmin April 13, 2012 at 10:56 am

I work at the office that services every other office in the world – pay all the bills; process all the income; create all the ad materials (paper or otherwise); warehouse all materials etc. Yet we have the most outdated building and equipment of anyone in this country (can’t speak for those overseas obviously!). We often wonder how much money and time could be saved if they just spent a little money to upgrade US for a change!

anonymous April 12, 2012 at 6:56 pm

I haven’t figured out the new (2010) Outlook calendar…so many new features and the email is hard to get used to too….although I do like the new one-click “clean up” feature where it puts your entire email thread into one email in your inbox.

Lisa Hulbert April 12, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I’ve been struggling with Web-Ex. I find that I set up meetings for my boss, but since I’m not participating in them I haven’t really learned how to maximize the software/program, so I can’t offer tips to my boss or other co-workers.