Dallas-based staffing agency Temp Team has agreed to settle Fair Labor Standards Act () violations uncovered during a U.S. Department of Labor (DOL) Wage and Hour Division investigation. The $244,104 settlement will be split among 252 current and former employees.
Temp Team had placed 250 employees at multiple locations, where they worked in excess of 40 hours per week without receiving overtime pay. The DOL found that two other employees had been improperly classified as exempt under the FLSA.
The settlement calls for Temp Team to pay the back wages, reclassify the two workers as nonexempt and pay overtime to allwho work more than 40 hours in a week.
Note: Temp agencies and staffing services must count the total hours in a week an employee works when making overtime determinations. It doesn’t matter how many locations or clients the employee does work for.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- NYC contractor pays $431k to settle prevailing wage dispute
- Weigh 5 options for dealing with new white-collar overtime rules
- Overtime settlement puts dent in body shop's profit
- Court: Home health aides can have minimum wage, overtime protection