Q. Under our company policy, an employee who fails to give 20 working days’ notice before resigning forfeits any earned vacation days. Is this policy lawful?
A. Yes, under Pennsylvania law. There is no legal entitlement to vacation pay, and an employee is entitled only to the vacation pay that the employer decides to provide under its policy.
If the policy is clear in stating that failure to give 20 days’ notice results in forfeiture of vacation days, it should be enforceable.
- Contractor or employee? IRS launches audit blitz
- Don't expect to get away with paying undocumented workers less than law requires
- Need health insurance options for your small business?
- EBSA sours on Sunkist's retirement fund accounting
- Want to get bosses' attention on bias problems? Remind them they can be held personally liable