The Indian Beach-Salter Path Fire Department faces $10,838 in fines after state OSHA inspectors learned that firefighters had removed 120 ceiling tiles that contained asbestos from a mobile home a citizen had donated for use in the department’s training program.
The department would have been spared the asbestos violations if the homeowner had removed the tiles before donating the trailer.
The good news: It could have been worse. Initially, state officials issued 12 serious and five other-than-serious citations for asbestos exposure. However, the fire department persuaded the North Carolina Department of Labor to reduce the fines from an original assessment of $14,450.
- Resolving workplace conflict: 8 simple, smart strategies
- Make sure your noncompete agreements comply with all Texas requirements
- Supreme Court's Ledbetter decision could affect your pay policies
- Planning for the worst: Implementing a workplace violence policy
- Supreme Court: Title VII deadline clock resets with each new biased decision