• LinkedIn
  • YouTube
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google+

Extension needed for a SEP contribution

by on
in Small Business Tax,Small Business Tax Deduction Strategies

Q. I’m self-employed with a SEP-IRA. Can I still postpone contributions for 2011 if I don’t file for an extension? H.S., Venice, Calif.

A. No. Normally, the deadline for contributions to a SEP-IRA 2011 is the tax return due date, or April 17, 2012, for most taxpayers this year. But the due date is extended for six months, until Oct. 15, 2012, for 2011 returns, if you apply for a filing extension.

The catch: You must obtain the 1040 filing extension in order to postpone deductible contributions to a SEP-IRA for 2011.

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/30582/extension-needed-for-a-sep-contribution "

Leave a Comment