Neutralizing a negative attitude—within yourself or an employee—takes time and plenty of effort. However, another aspect of turning around negativity lies in the little things you do, which may just be what you say or how you say it, without being a direct “negativity-buster.”
1. Acknowledge that negativity exists. That is the first step to working toward changing it. Once you identify it, you can determine the best ways to combat it.
2. Set an example by keeping your communications positive. Don’t give employees either a reason or an excuse to act negatively. Try countering negative statements by pointing out a positive. This may spur more positive thinking from others.
3. Expect positive action from employees. Otherwise, they just might complete your self-fulfilling prophecy. So when employees start complaining, get them to take action instead by asking them what they’re going to do about it.
4. Give positive recognition often. Feedback should not be mostly critical; accolades are equally important.
5. Watch out for negativity traps. Beware of using labels. When conversation turns to complaints about policy, don’t join in. Try pointing out the positives, changing the subject, or turning it into a problem-solving discussion. Staying silent is not a good option—it may signify acceptance of a negative notion.
6. Get direct feedback from employees on how to make the workplace more enjoyable, less tense, etc.
7. Give employees more decision-making power. Employees’ negativity may stem from feeling like they have no control over their work or work lives.
8. Assess the situation thoroughly. Challenge and check the “facts” of a negative situation.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/30490/turn-around-negative-attitudes-8-tips "