How has your smartphone made your job as an EA more productive and efficient?

Question:  “I am thinking of upgrading my phone and would like feedback on how your smartphone has made your job as an EA more productive and efficient? I would love to get as many specifics as possible to help with my decision. Thanks!”  —Amber Shumperd

Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!

Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...

We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.

The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.

" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/30467/how-has-your-smartphone-made-your-job-as-an-ea-more-productive-and-efficient "

Debbie March 16, 2012 at 8:20 am

I have an Android phone and I do not have anything work related on it. I try to disengage when I am with family or out having an adventure. I don’t feel I need to be attached 24/7 to my phone.

Robin Taylor March 15, 2012 at 4:38 pm

I just started using an iPhone and decided after two days that I do not like getting my business e-mails on my phone. I feel as though I am working 24/7. Also, if my employer wants me to be available via my smartphone, I think they should pay for the service.

Michele Snyder March 15, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I would love to hear more feedback on this too. I can’t decide on whether to go with a smartphone or an ipad.

The editors March 15, 2012 at 11:00 am

Editor’s Note: If you need help making sense of the more than 150,000 iPhone apps, you might check out Business Management Daily’s recording of the webinar “Unleash the Power of Your iPhone.” In it, Kimberly Deas, shares her advice, including her list of 10 must-have iPhone apps. For a free, 2-minute clip, see:

Michelle March 12, 2012 at 10:49 am

I use my Windows phone and absolutely love it. I found the droids to be more fun than business and the blackberry to be too much business and not enough fun. This is the perfect blend and because it is Windows it synchs perfectly with my work outlook account. I like being able to synch my work calendar with my personal one so when I’m checking my schedule I can see everything I have going on. It’s nice to be able to keep up with email at home and anywhere. I do have to put it away at night otherwise I will keep answering emails all evening. My stress level went down when I got my phone. I just feel more in control of my schedule and it helps to know what my inbox looks like before I get in on Monday mornings!

-Lori Ragas March 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

I love, love, love my iphone for home & work. Because I have the iphone 4s with Siri – I can talk to my phone – speak my reminders, emails, and texts and my life is so much easier! I also downloaded the dragon speak app & I can put my speaking into Word documents, emails, and whatever else I want. I used to have the standard cell phone, but I would never go back! I’m continually using my iphone for web access, directions, weather, and travel (my boss travels a LOT!), and he always wants to know what the weather will be like where he’s going etc. There seems to be nothing this iphone can’t do (except maybe my laundry!!). I love it!!!

-Lori- :)

AdminAmy March 9, 2012 at 8:37 am

I work in the IT department for a hospital and each person in my department is given an iPhone. I find it to be a blessing and a curse. One thing I’ve learned is to put it away at the end of my work day and not take it out until the next. The only exception to ths is when my boss is traveling (which, thankfully, isn’t too often). There are many apps to help with flight tracking, travel arrangements, expense account management and such should he need to reach me to rearrange his travel schedule during off hours. And yes, since there are strong web filters in place on work PCs nowadays, I can use the phone as a workaround if there is a web page I must get to. I also use it to listen to Pandora at work now that it’s blocked on our PCs ;)

Jet March 8, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I got an iPhone a few months ago – I love the apps, but don’t like it as a phone because when an incoming call comes in while it’s in the locked position and I slide the bar across the screen to unlock it there’s a pregnant pause and the screen remains black and when the screen finally appears the call is live – you don’t get a choice to answer or not! The caller is on the line waiting for you to say something – I hate that!! I much prefer the LG Dare I had before getting the iPhone.

Regarding the apps, I work for our local government and our Internet access is heavily filtered – we cannot access external emails and a lot of websites including social media, even though one of our own department’s uses Twitter to send out messages (go figure). How the smartphone helps me is as the user above stated – Evernote is good, and there’s another app called Dropbox that allows you to drop a document in it and access it from anywhere – you have your own passworded account. I also have a scanner app that allows me to take pictures of anything and crop what I don’t want in the picture and send it to my email as either a .jpg or PDF document or print it out. And due to the Internet filtering I’ve had to use my iPhone to send out alert notification messages (I’m the communications coordinator too) because our internal system setup blocks me, so having full Internet access on my iPhone has helped me be more efficient in carrying out these tasks.

Other helpful apps include sticky notes, checklists, alarm clock, a flashlight (comes in handy), recording voice memos (preloaded on iPhone), etc. I can also sync my desktop computer’s Outlook calendar, contacts, email, and notes to my iPhone, which is a very nice feature.

In hindsight, I’d go with a 3G Wi-Fi tablet (we don’t have 4G here and probably won’t until 5G comes out) and keep my LG Dare phone.

Hope this helps.

Barbie March 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Though I don’t need one officially, my iPhone has really helped me on the job. I use Evernote to keep track of To Do lists that I can access anywhere – at home on my Mac, at work on my PC or on my phone using the app. I also use Instagram for photos when I need to put together a presentation in PPT. Their filters are so beautiful and I’ve gotten compliments from attendees about the pictures I use. Even something as mundane as a pic of my office phone can be transformed into a picture worthy of printing using Instagram! In meetings, I’ve used the Maps feature to quickly pull up restaurants/hotels/etc for employees from out of state who are visiting our corporate office.

I love my smartphone and definitely recommend the upgrade. It’s such a wonderful tool to manage my daily life – at home and at the office.

omar hamed April 18, 2012 at 8:08 am

dear from your experiense can you supply us with extra information for this app Instagram,that iam working on
multi-JPG / CONTENT PPT.
that you mentioned you got a positive response from your attendees..
thanks

Part-time working mom March 8, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Dianne, I thought I was the only one who still has a standard cell! ( I can text but it is a struggle and requires a lot of keystrokes to get to the correct letters )… but the smartphones all require expensive datapackages…as do iPads….
I’d be interested if others who have smartphones and ipads think they really need both? if only 1 is needed, I think maybe I should stick with my standard cell and get just an ipad…. I’ve tried using my daughter’s iphone and, though I know it has so many great features for her, I’m not sure I need or want one (although I did listen to a webinar on it while lying down and that was fun).
The tablet though seems easier to manipulate–and read–more like a PC… I too look fwd to others’ comments, how they help (or hurt) productivity for work/home tasks?

Dianne March 8, 2012 at 3:25 pm

I still have a standard cell phone that makes calls & texts (although I’ve never used the text part of it). I have been giving a lot of thought to getting a smartphone, also. The job I’m in now doesn’t require it but there have been times when it would have come in handy. I would love to get some feedback, also, on this subject. Dianne