Build a stronger relationship with your boss by never letting these phrases cross your lips:
1. “It’s not my job.” Even if it’s true, thinking this way could negatively affect your attitude.
2. “It’s not my fault.” Instead, be willing to take responsibility, then immediately look for ways to remedy a bad situation.
3. “I can’t work with Person A.” A boss wants to be surrounded by can-do attitudes. First, focus on how to resolve a situation without involving the boss. If work is suffering because of Person A, let your boss know how deliverables or deadlines are being impacted.
4. “I can’t do X, because I have to do Y.”
5. “That’s not possible.” Even if you believe it, turn your statement into a more constructive one. “We could try that approach. I believe we may face a few challenges, though, such as....”
— Adapted from “6 things you should never say to your boss,” Alexandra Levit, Intuit’s Quickbase blog.