Next time you need to send a fax, use your smartphone. Fax apps allow you to take a photo of a document, crop it, spruce it up and then send it out.
- JotNotScanner: Because it’s free, this app is a good starting point. Grid lines over a photographed image help you level the image; you can also zoom in for a closer look. Multiple pages can be combined into one document.
- Pro version, JotNotScanner: With even better features, it gives you the ability to export images to Evernote or DropBox. Cost: $1.99.
- TurboScan ($1.99) and ScannerPro ($6.99) allow you to open your scanned documents as a PDF, send them by email, print them or upload them to DropBox and Evernote.
- Scan to PDF works similarly, scanning documents using your phone’s camera. The resulting PDFs can be cropped and enhanced before uploading to Google Docs. Cost: 99 cents.
- CamScanner has a free and paid ($4.99) version. Downside to the free version: PDF docs contain a watermark, and you’ll be limited to 50 documents, with 10 pages per document. The paid version has no limits.