President Obama unveiled a $3.8 trillion proposed budget for fiscal year 2013 that, according to an analysis by the Littler law firm, “signals that employers are facing an expanded enforcement and regulatory activity by the federal agencies.”
One key target: greater funding in several Department of Labor departments to enforce worker misclassification laws. Increases are also slated for the EEOC, NLRB and OSHA.
Read an analysis at http://tinyurl.com/fed2013.
- Best bet: Always investigate hostile environment claims
- Independent investigation doesn't have to be perfect
- Customer complaint can be basis for discipline
- Don't leave yourself open to retaliation claims: Enforce work rules equitably for all employees
- Overly aggressive defense tactics may backfire on you in court