Q. We recently learned that an employee who drives a company vehicle is stopping on the way home for a few drinks. Should we notify all employees that if they use drugs or alcohol while driving a company vehicle, they will be fired?
A. You should tell the employee that he is not permitted to drink or be under the influence of alcohol when driving the company car and that further incidents will lead to discipline, including termination of employment.
You should also consider implementing a policy that prohibits the use or possession of drugs or alcohol in the workplace or when driving company vehicles and being under the influence of drugs or alcohol when performing work duties or driving a company vehicle.
The policy should set out the penalties for noncompliance.
- Don't turn the other cheek on workplace bullies
- Creative benefits help employees with cancer stay on the job
- When bosses hook up with subordinates, sparks may fly … in court
- Stop frivolous claims with solid hiring, promotion processes consistently applied
- Design development plan around person's life, not just the job