President Obama’s push to raise the minimum wage from its current $7.25 per hour to $9.50 will likely fall on deaf ears in Congress this year. The president also wants to index future automatic increases in the minimum wage to the inflation rate, an idea that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney actually supports.
Ten states already link their minimum wage hikes to inflation. Currently, 18 states have a minimum wage that’s higher than the federal rate. Find all state minimum wage figures at www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employers aren't required to offer intermittent FMLA leave for birth, adoptions
- Leave as a disability accommodation: Are your policies compliant?
- Get resignation in writing before accepting it
- Health reform: IRS issues new rules on play-or-pay option