President Obama’s push to raise the minimum wage from its current $7.25 per hour to $9.50 will likely fall on deaf ears in Congress this year. The president also wants to index future automatic increases in the minimum wage to the inflation rate, an idea that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney actually supports.
Ten states already link their minimum wage hikes to inflation. Currently, 18 states have a minimum wage that’s higher than the federal rate. Find all state minimum wage figures at www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm.
- Discovered poor work while employee was on military leave? Go ahead and discipline
- Employee behaving strangely? Think twice before urging her to seek counseling
- Federal judge strikes down Pa. state ban on same-sex marriage
- Could we get in trouble? Brief posting led to job for applicant with inside info
- Health incentive plans must comply with HIPAA rules