President Obama’s push to raise the minimum wage from its current $7.25 per hour to $9.50 will likely fall on deaf ears in Congress this year. The president also wants to index future automatic increases in the minimum wage to the inflation rate, an idea that Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney actually supports.
Ten states already link their minimum wage hikes to inflation. Currently, 18 states have a minimum wage that’s higher than the federal rate. Find all state minimum wage figures at www.dol.gov/whd/minwage/america.htm.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Minnesota State Supreme Court extends time for whistle-blowers to file
- Conditions intolerable? Employee may quit and sue
- Staff sour on union? Let NLRB handle decertification vote
- What happens when union and employer disagree over what the arbitrator meant?