Last year, New Jersey became the first state to make it illegal for employers to refuse to hire applicants just because they’re unemployed. Several other states—including California and Ohio—are now considering similar bills. And President Obama’s jobs bill would make it an unlawful employment practice.
Outlook: Look for more states to pass such laws, but it won’t get through Congress this year.
- Your online job ads: Keywords are the key
- HR cost-cutting moves: Your benchmarks for surviving the meltdown
- HR as mobsters: Supreme Court lets workers use organized-Crime law to sue their employers
- After Google search revealed that applicant smokes and drinks, can we refuse to hire him?
- Even if offer is for 'at-will' job, beware making promises you're not prepared to keep