Last year, New Jersey became the first state to make it illegal for employers to refuse to hire applicants just because they’re unemployed. Several other states—including California and Ohio—are now considering similar bills. And President Obama’s jobs bill would make it an unlawful employment practice.
Outlook: Look for more states to pass such laws, but it won’t get through Congress this year.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Former employee who sued applies for new job? Take extra care about who does the hiring
- Résumé ridiculousness: Ixnay on the ornpay inkslay
- Background Check Guidelines: How to comply with the Fair Credit Reporting Act and avoid lawsuits
- Hiring a headhunter? Choose the best type for your needs