Last year, New Jersey became the first state to make it illegal for employers to refuse to hire applicants just because they’re unemployed. Several other states—including California and Ohio—are now considering similar bills. And President Obama’s jobs bill would make it an unlawful employment practice.
Outlook: Look for more states to pass such laws, but it won’t get through Congress this year.
- A VIP candidate complicates your hiring plans
- Lack of screening did not prove negligence in truck accident
- Beat discrimination lawsuits by nailing down specific rationale for employment decisions
- Leaving managers untrained is 'extraordinary mistake'
- Interns aren't just free labor: How to comply with the FLSA