Last year, New Jersey became the first state to make it illegal for employers to refuse to hire applicants just because they’re unemployed. Several other states—including California and Ohio—are now considering similar bills. And President Obama’s jobs bill would make it an unlawful employment practice.
Outlook: Look for more states to pass such laws, but it won’t get through Congress this year.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- No changes needed to implement new I-9 regulations
- Bias against applicants who never apply? Ruling in case involving criminal background checks
- Dropped your drug testing? You're not alone
- Are there any legal issues to consider now that we're hiring only 'careful' workers?