It’s no wonder Kane County Coroner Chuck West decided not to run for re-election this year. In addition to facing criminal charges that he stole a dead man’s television, West is being sued for retaliation by his second-in-command, Deputy Coroner Loren Carrera.
West is accused of stealing a TV from the home of a Carpentersville man who died in 2007. Deputy Coroner Loren Carrera is suing West, claiming he retaliated against her after she reported the alleged theft to authorities.
Carrera’s suit initially listed West’s son Eric and Eric’s girlfriend, Lisa Gilbert, as co-defendants. Both Eric West and Gilbert work in the coroner’s office as well.
A judge recently dismissed the two from the case.
Carrera charges West harassed her and urinated on her office chair in retaliation for her whistle-blowing.
Carrera’s suit is on hold pending resolution of criminal charges against the 69-year-old West. He faces a trial for the alleged felony of stealing the TV. He could face as much as five years in prison if convicted.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Take it seriously when employee yells, 'Stop!'
- Check union contract when tallying FMLA leave, workers' comp absenteeism
- Control employee cellphone use--an accident waiting to happen
- Is 'at-will' employment at risk in Colorado? Voters will decide