Q. How does the recent amendment to the Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act (USERRA) affect employers?
A. The Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) to Hire Heroes Act amended USERRA to recognize claims of hostile work environment harassment based on the individual’s military status. It prohibits discrimination based on military status with respect to “the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment.”
This amendment establishes the same standard as a Title VII hostile work environment claim. As a result, individuals can bring a hostile work environment cause of action under USERRA.
For more on returning veterans, see “The ‘surge home’: Welcome service members back to work”.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Filling out NASD Form U-5? For now, watch what you say
- Employee out on military leave: Must we pay him?
- Fire employee who has filed complaint … if you're prepared to address retaliation
- Retaliation alert: Most public employees protected when reporting alleged wrongdoing