Q. We do not have aand would like to prepare one. What should we include in the policy?
A. Yourpolicy should, at a minimum, contain the following provisions:
1. State your commitment to preventing violence in the workplace and maintaining a safe working environment. Your policy should also state that you have zero tolerance for violence, which may include threats, harassment and intimidation.
2. Include procedures for addressing violent behavior. This may include steps employees should take to report violent behavior or other safety concerns and an assurance of confidentiality (to the extent practicable).
3. Include a disciplinary component for employees who violate the policy.
Make sure the policy is accessible to employees. Distribute it to employees through, as well as through internal online media. Provide training to employees and managers so they are aware of and understand their duties under the policy.
Regularly review and update your policy as necessary.
- 10 Secrets to an Effective Performance Review
- Don't punish religious principles for non-job-related reasons
- OSHA cites Cincy painting firm for lead safety violations
- Must we pay workers who have been suspended?
- Establish zero-tolerance policy on violence and threats--but don't count on backup from courts