Darn that groundhog! If it knew what you know about looming W-2 deadlines, it would never come out of its den. Paper W-2s are due to the Social Security Administration (SSA) by the end of the month; e-filed forms are due by April 2. This checklist applies to e-filers who use the SSA’s EFW2 filing specs.
- When logging onto the SSA’s business services online, check your user ID characters. For example, a capital “O” can be mistaken for a zero, or a lowercase “L” can be mistaken for a one. Try the other choice if your first try doesn’t work.
- Make sure that data files are in text format.
- Enter the correct tax year in the Employer Record (Record RE).
- Files may be compressed into the .ZIP format, but compress each file separately.
- Scan files for viruses before submitting them to the SSA.
- Configure your email software’s junk mail filters so messages from the SSA aren't tagged as spam.
- Ensure that the user ID that’s assigned to the employee who is attesting to the accuracy of the W-2 data is included in the Submitter Record (Record RA). Also, include this employee’s phone number and email address; failure to do so may lead the SSA to reject the submission.
- Make sure each data field is complete (Record RA through Record RF).
- Don’t create a file that contains data after the Final Record (Record RF).
- Before transmitting data to the SSA, randomly sample from the beginning, middle and end of an employee record. What should match: the employee’s name, address, Social Security number, wages and taxes.
HELP IS HERE: Contact your SSA Employer Service Liaison Officers if your question is about e-filing or submitting paper Copy A to the SSA.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/29633/forget-a-late-or-early-spring-february-is-w-2-time "