Q. I will soon either sell my business or close it down. Either way, I will most likely have to lay off all eight of my employees. What are the legal requirements in Pennsylvania in connection with these layoffs?
A. For eight employees, there are no particular notice requirements in Pennsylvania. Such a layoff does not trigger employer obligations under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.
If you decide to offer the employees severance in exchange for a release, you will need to follow certain rules for any employees age 40 or older in order to have valid releases of age discrimination claims.
Your employees should be eligible for unemployment.
- Remember, you—not employee—choose ADA accommodation
- Firing employee who complained of harassment? Don't let alleged harasser play any role
- Going over supervisor's head may be a protected activity
- 2009 is 'year of employee benefits'; more in the pipeline for 2010
- DOL files back-Wage suit against Aggregate Industries