Q. I will soon either sell my business or close it down. Either way, I will most likely have to lay off all eight of my employees. What are the legal requirements in Pennsylvania in connection with these layoffs?
A. For eight employees, there are no particular notice requirements in Pennsylvania. Such a layoff does not trigger employer obligations under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act.
If you decide to offer the employees severance in exchange for a release, you will need to follow certain rules for any employees age 40 or older in order to have valid releases of age discrimination claims.
Your employees should be eligible for unemployment.
- Begin accommodations process after job offer
- California Supreme Court upholds state furloughs
- Appeals Court reverses stance; gives a thumbs down to 'association discrimination'
- Does California's human trafficking notice requirement apply to all industries?
- Goldsboro builder settles bias case with Adventists