Q. We hired a temp worker through an agency while one of our employees was out on a 12-week. Five weeks after she started with us, she was injured at work. Are we responsible for her workers’ comp claim, or is the temp agency responsible?
A. The answer to that question depends upon which entity has the right to control how the temp does her work. If it is your company, then you may well be responsible for the workers’ comp claim, even though you are not her official employer.
- When employee complains, you must investigate -- but you can insist on a civilized complaint
- A good reference for a good worker, even though we fired him?
- 'Will work for less!' Be wary of reduced-comp pleas from desperate employees
- Legit discipline OK, even following complaint
- Caution on mandatory arbitration! Decisions almost impossible to overturn