Q. We hired a temp worker through an agency while one of our employees was out on a 12-week. Five weeks after she started with us, she was injured at work. Are we responsible for her workers’ comp claim, or is the temp agency responsible?
A. The answer to that question depends upon which entity has the right to control how the temp does her work. If it is your company, then you may well be responsible for the workers’ comp claim, even though you are not her official employer.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Is it legal to dock nonexempts' pay if they clock in late after breaks?
- Class action settlements fell sharply in 2013
- Employers: 'Keep Out!' Beware overreacting to employees' Facebook, blog postings
- Are there special requirements for training employees who do not speak English well?