Strengthen your sentences by using fewer words and getting rid of awkward or passive construction. Practice by rewriting these wordy sample sentences, inspired by the Purdue Online Writing Lab (OWL):
- It is expected that the new schedule will be announced by the maintenance company within the next few days.
- In the not too distant future, employees should be aware of the fact that they will need to be trained on the new software programs.
- My boss leans toward utilizing a paper calendar instead of the one offered on his online software.
A better way to say it:
- The maintenance company will probably announce its schedule during the next few days.
- Trainers will soon coach employees on using the new software.
- My boss prefers a paper calendar rather than an electronic one.