A Houston manufacturer will pay $60,000 and provide other relief to settle an EEOC age discrimination lawsuit.
According to the EEOC, Metallic Products Corp. had an unlawful mandatory policy that required employees to retire when they reached age 70.
The lawsuit alleges that company officials told Jeronimo Vidals that he would be required to retire upon reaching 70.
On his 70th birthday, he was fired when he did not go quietly into the night. He will receive $60,000 under the settlement terms.
Metallic Products must rescind the unlawful policy and notify all current employees about this settlement —along with all former employees who may have been affected by the retirement policy.
- Perform 'spot check' for offensive pictures, calendars
- New Jersey Unemployment Compensation Law
- Base all decisions on legit business needs--and then be sure to document your reasoning
- Detail discipline so you can later explain why punishment was appropriate and fair
- Don't fear conflicting reviews show discrimination