1. What percentage of corporate attorneys expect their company to face either the same or a greater number of internal employment law investigations in 2012 compared with 2011?
2. Unless business groups succeed in court this month, U.S. employers would be required to post a new union-rights poster in their workplaces by:
a. Jan. 15
b. Jan. 31
c. Feb. 15
3. What are the top three things (in order) that employees say they’re scared about at work?
a. Layoffs, pay cuts, giving presentations
b. Giving presentations, layoffs, the boss
c. The boss, their workload, layoffs
4. How many states have laws that require at least certain employers—either now or within the next two years—to use the electronic E-Verify system to check new hires’ eligibility?
5. For 2012, the federal minimum wage is currently scheduled to:
a. Rise on July 1 to $7.75 an hour
b. Remain at $7.25 per hour
c. Rise according to the inflation index reported in January
6. What’s the No. 1 reason employers give for making bad hires?
a. Rushed decision because needed to fill the job quickly
b. Didn’t check references
c. Random bad luck
Sources: 1. Fulbright & Jaworski Litigation Trends Survey; 2. www.theHRSpecialist.com/unionposter; 3. CareerBuilder survey; 4. National Conference of State Legislators; 5. U.S. Department of Labor; 6. CareerBuilder survey.
Answers: 1. c 2. b 3. a 4. c 5. b 6. a
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Want to catch harassment? Go looking for it
- Explore new generation of Internet-based payroll services
- Investigate or else! When harassment surfaces, HR inquiries and action could be worth millions
- Settlement brings soft landing for Mesaba religious bias case