Congress has repealed the dreaded withholding provision under which state and local governments would have been required to withhold 3% of payments made to any payee for goods and services. The provision was slated to go into effect on Jan. 1, 2013.
Also included in the 3% Withholding Repeal and Job Creation Act (P.L. 112-56) is the VOW to Hire Heroes Act of 2011, which amends the Work Opportunity Tax Credit (WOTC) to provide enhanced tax credits for employers that hire veterans.
VOW to hire vets
The WOTC already allows employers that hire veterans to take a 40% tax credit on up to $6,000 in first-year wages paid to veterans ($12,000 for disabled vets). The law retains the 40%/$6,000 credit, and makes the following amendments for post-Sept. 11 vets. Employers that hire:
- Veterans who have been unemployed for more than four weeks, but less than six months, can take a maximum credit of $2,400
- Vets who have been unemployed for longer than six months can take a maximum credit of $5,600
- Disabled vets who have been unemployed for at least four weeks, but less than six months, can take a maximum credit of $4,800
- Disabled vets who have been unemployed for longer than six months can take a maximum credit of $9,600.
TAX-EXEMPT EMPLOYERS, TOO: Normally, tax-exempt employers can’t take the WOTC. However, tax-exempt employers that hire vets may claim a credit against the employer portion of Social Security taxes. The credit is the lesser of the WOTC or the employer’s portion of Social Security taxes with respect to wages paid to all employees. The credit may be taken for the one-year period beginning on vets’ first day of work.
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/29262/3-withholding-bites-the-dust-vets-get-jobs-tax-credits "
- Head off problem employees' retaliation suits: Document all decision-making as it happens
- Did the Fair Credit Reporting Act just change?
- Brother, can you spare $3,400: Can Payroll help close tax gap?
- Is your PEO ripping you off? A primer on the fine print
- Prescreen job applicants to cut turnover, training costs and litigation