Knowledge still confers power.
Five things you can do to maximize it:
1. Follow up immediately by making connections, planning first steps and pushing them forward.
2. Let yourself learn. It’s OK to stay offline for hours, even days, if you’re soaking up knowledge—whether you’re in a new country or with a stack of new trade magazines.
3. Focus. Now. Dwell in the moment. You can’t do that by multitasking.
4. Explain what you learned. Whether you do this by speaking or in writing, to yourself or to others, it will help you process what you think you understand and identify gaps in knowledge you need to fill.
5. Ask. Even the most educated people routinely hear words or concepts they don’t get. The smartest people look them up or ask.
— Adapted from “Improve your knowledge daily,” Art Markman, SmartBlog on.