AT&T has settled a suit filed by former workers who took early retirement offers from the company and then asked to be rehired.
AT&T claimed early retirement packages made the workers ineligible to return to work. The workers, on the other hand, argued that treating them differently than any other former employee violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
The EEOC agreed and filed suit on the workers’ behalf, claiming that several early retirement packages offered by AT&T and its subsidiaries violated the ADEA. AT&T has agreed to change its policy on rehiring retired employees to settle the suit.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- No matter how implausible, you must investigate every sexual harassment complaint
- If fear is a factor, fire threatening employee
- You don't have to put up with insubordination
- Employee making threats? Know how to legally handle explosive situation