AT&T has settled a suit filed by former workers who took early retirement offers from the company and then asked to be rehired.
AT&T claimed early retirement packages made the workers ineligible to return to work. The workers, on the other hand, argued that treating them differently than any other former employee violated the Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA).
The EEOC agreed and filed suit on the workers’ behalf, claiming that several early retirement packages offered by AT&T and its subsidiaries violated the ADEA. AT&T has agreed to change its policy on rehiring retired employees to settle the suit.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employees fighting? Sort out facts, punish accordingly
- N.J. women join gender-pay class action against Lockheed
- When employee sues, beware whistle-blower add-on that alleges violation of public policy
- Take harassment training seriously; more states mandate it