A North Carolina restaurant is facing a U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit after it disciplined and fired a 79-year-old employee. The suit, claiming age bias, says a manager referred to the employee as an “old woman” who needed to retire.
Note: Workers age 40 or older are a protected class.
- Don't add insult to injury: Be careful what you say about litigious employees
- Different education standards for young applicants is legal
- Budget cuts forcing layoffs or reorganization? Take care to spell out justification
- Emotional distress suits: Court says employers can access medical records going back 2 years
- Ensure you can justify gender pay disparities