A North Carolina restaurant is facing a U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit after it disciplined and fired a 79-year-old employee. The suit, claiming age bias, says a manager referred to the employee as an “old woman” who needed to retire.
Note: Workers age 40 or older are a protected class.
- Don't even try to argue slur wasn't offensive
- Require medical exams only for clear job reasons
- Worker claims negligent supervision caused harassment? She must sue under Title VII
- Brooklyn fish plant on the hook for race, sexual harassment
- Document why termination was justified when employee can't handle promotion duties