A North Carolina restaurant is facing a U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit after it disciplined and fired a 79-year-old employee. The suit, claiming age bias, says a manager referred to the employee as an “old woman” who needed to retire.
Note: Workers age 40 or older are a protected class.
- Hey, boss, you better call HR! Warn managers against trying to resolve complaints informally
- Avoid lawsuits by sticking to performance when you fire
- Use documentation to show insubordination
- Allegheny Port Authority says race charges were trumped up
- Use seniority to assign tasks and take bias off the table