A North Carolina restaurant is facing a U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission lawsuit after it disciplined and fired a 79-year-old employee. The suit, claiming age bias, says a manager referred to the employee as an “old woman” who needed to retire.
Note: Workers age 40 or older are a protected class.
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- HR law 101: Always follow up with employee who has filed internal discrimination complaint
- Think you solved harassment problem? Check back to make sure it really worked
- Think lawsuit won't materialize? Test theory on calendar
- Political Expression at Work: Limit Distractions, but Allow Free Speech