Outlook is the workhorse that keeps the wheels moving every day. But what if you could add some power to those wheels with a few add-ons? PC World recently published a list of downloads that can help “power up” your Outlook.
Here are a few you might want to try to help integrate social networking, control spam, slow the email overload, track and sync email, zip attachments, alert you to incoming email and forward URLs:
1. www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=7985, allows you to synchronize the latest updates on Facebook and LinkedIn right in Outlook. Free.Social Connector,
2. Xobni, www.xobni.com, also integrates Facebook and LinkedIn updates in Outlook, but it also includes Twitter. “You see tweets only when you’re in contact with the person via Outlook,” according to PC World. Free.
3. Twinbox, www.techhit.com/TwInbox/twitter_plugin_outlook.html, integrates Twitter into Outlook and manages multiple Twitter accounts within Outlook. Free.
4. Spamfighter Pro, www.spamfighter.com, moves that junk mail to a spam folder before it ever reaches your inbox. Cost: $29.
5. Mailwasher Free, www.mailwasher.net, also checks for spam and kills it. Free.
6. Xiant Filer, www.xiant.com, analyzes how you file email and then recommends the folders where you should store your messages. Instantly send email to a folder with a single click. Cost: $20; 30-day free trial.
7. Single Click Filing, www.singleclickfiling.com, makes filing as easy as pressing the backspace key. You put shortcuts to Outlook folders in a toolbar across the top of Outlook. Then, click the appropriate toolbar shortcut. Cost: $10.
8. Zendio, www.zendio.com, automatically notifies you when your email has been read and whether people click the links you send in email. Cost: $10 per month; 30-day free trial.
9. Companion Link, www.companionlink.com, synchs contacts, calendars, with Gmail or Google Calendar. Cost: $50; 14-day free trial.
10. WinZip Courier, kb.winzip.com/help/courier/index.htm, automatically zips (compresses) the documents and other files that you attach to Microsoft Outlook. You can also preview zipped attachments sent to you. Cost: $25, 45-day free trial.
11. Email This, www.emailthis.clickability.com allows you to share website links. Free.