THE LAW: Employers will ring in some new laws with the New Year, and those laws will bring challenges and opportunities.
In November, President Obama signed the VOW to Hire Heroes Act that provides employers with tax credits for hiring veterans.
The Sarbanes-Oxley Act (Sarbox) has created a framework for whistle-blowers to report financial abuses to the federal government. Beginning in 2012, the Dodd-Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act amends Sarbox to make it easier for employees to blow the whistle on their employers.
WHAT’S NEW: The VOW to Hire Heroes Act provides additional training to veterans in what the Department of Labor defines as high-demand job sectors. To qualify, veterans must participate in the Transition Assistance Program, which provides employment training and job search skills. The act also streamlines the process for returning veterans to receive notification of their veteran statu...(register to read more)
- How to Fire an Employee the Legal Way: 6 Termination Guidelines
- Employee leave: Step carefully through maze of FMLA, ADA
- When push comes to shove, no retaliation unless protected right was violated first
- NLRB ready to back broad union organizing and collective activity
- Accommodation doesn't need to match employee's request