Santa’s not the only one delivering presents this holiday season. Nearly eight out of 10 (79%) executives say some form of gift giving occurs in their offices, according to a recent survey. But it’s not all bottles of wine and Target gift cards out there.
When asked to name the most unusual or unique gifts exchanged in the office, responses ranged from a fully stocked 125-pound aquarium to the same fruitcake that went around the office two years in a row.
In a survey by staffing firm The Creative Group, executives were asked, “During the holiday season, which of the following types of gifts, if any, are typically given in your office?” Their responses:
51% .... Gifts from managers to staff members
51% .... Gifts from staff members to each other
43% .... Gifts from coworkers based on names dropped in a hat
39% .... Gifts from staff to their managers
19% .... None/no gifts given
Asked about some of the more … er … unique gifts they’d received or heard of, executives offered the following gems:
- “Someone gave a coworker a voodoo doll of the boss. The boss found out and wasn’t very happy about it.”
- “One employee liked to give out portraits of himself. I’m glad I never received one.”
- “My staff gave me an industrial-size can of chicken loaf. I never ate it.”
- “Someone gave his assistant a case of tuna. It was really strange.”
- “One person received a plastic pizza with a face on it. She thought it was frightening.”
But others raved about thoughtful, memorable and personal gifts:
- “My favorite and most memorable gift was a membership to a local art gallery.”
- “Someone gave his co-worker a ride on a parade float with Santa.”
- “We got Ohio State football helmets because we are all Ohio State football fans.”
- “Each employee received a bobblehead that was a replica of him- or herself.”
- “My staff gave me two pounds of stone crab last year. They were delicious.”
Like what you've read? ...Republish it and share great business tips!
Attention: Readers, Publishers, Editors, Bloggers, Media, Webmasters and more...
We believe great content should be read and passed around. After all, knowledge IS power. And good business can become great with the right information at their fingertips. If you'd like to share any of the insightful articles on BusinessManagementDaily.com, you may republish or syndicate it without charge.
The only thing we ask is that you keep the article exactly as it was written and formatted. You also need to include an attribution statement and link to the article.
" This information is proudly provided by Business Management Daily.com: http://www.businessmanagementdaily.com/29105/office-gifts-from-weird-to-wonderful "
- EEOC is Deep in the 'Red Zone' ... It's Time to Play Defense
- Creative Candidates: 10 Memorable Stunts That Worked ... and 10 That Didn't
- What to Give Employees? 8 Alternatives to Christmas Cash
- Résumés: The Good, the Bad and the 10 Weirdest
- Lessons of a Giant $1.5M Theft: How to Handle Sticky-Fingered Staff